> TEOTWAWKI Blog: Surefire E1B Backup, Final Verdict

Pages

12/27/10

Surefire E1B Backup, Final Verdict

I've had this light for about a month now, and since my initial review, I've only gotten to like this light more and more. What's to love:
  • Build Quality: It's a Surefire, so it's rugged and durable. I've accidentally dropped it onto a hard floor with no noticeable effects, and the light shows no additional wear after a month of carry. This light will last for years and years.
  • Variable brightness: The light's two brightness levels means you have the right amount of light on hand for the job. The normal level is perfect for when you need a lot of light and the low level is perfect for when you just need a little. The UI is simple and well thought out--it never gets in the way of running the light, and there's little hassle between changing modes. No secret twist twice, click five times combinations - just click once for the normal mode, click again for the low mode. The clickie button is great as well; easy to use, a good solid click, and has never come on accidentally.
  • Battery life: I'm not sure how long (minutes wise) I've used the light, but I use it daily for navigating around and during chores (especially with longer winter nights). I use it on both modes, but probably the normal/bright mode 60% of the time. It's still running strong on the first battery.
  • Size & pocket clip: As far as I'm concerned, the E1B has attained nirvana here. It's so comfortable and unnoticeable that I sleep with it tucked in my waistband every night. At the same time, it is not too small for fast and easy use, and would make a decent fistload in scuffle.
The cons against the E1B are mainly that it takes CR123A batteries and the price.

CR123As are pricey and hard to find locally at anywhere near reasonable prices (like $10 for a pair at big box stores). Online they're $1-$2 each, which is much more reasonable, but still quite expensive when compared to AAs. I'd wanted to switch over to lights that only ran on AAs for a while, but realized that I actually prefer the slightly wider/thicker and shorter CR123A lights. They just feel better in my hand. CR123As also put out more power, so a single-cell (one battery) CR123A light will be brighter than an equivalent single-cell AA light. And because the E1B is only using a single battery at a time, you'll eat through them at a slower pace than a typical two cell light. So personally, I don't mind that it runs on CR123As - it's actually a bit of a positive, but your mileage may vary.

Yes, for all of this awesome light, you have to pay a decent amount - $140 new. Quality usually has a cost to it. I won't go into any of the various adages about buying quality, but the E1B is a very, very good light and will last through many years or use. If you're fine with buying used, keep an eye out on the various internet sales boards and eBay. You should be able to find a gently used model for less.